Education in Australia - Tertiary Education

The Australian education system can be more easily explained if it is divided into two parts. The first part provides primary and secondary education; the second part provides tertiary education. School education is similar across all of Australia with only minor variations between states and territories.

Education in Australia – Tertiary Education

Tertiary education includes both higher education (including universities) and vocational education and training (VET).

Types of Tertiary Education:

University Degrees (also known as “Higher Education”)

  • Admissions to universities in Australia are based on the prospective student’s academic achievement and the completion of a series of exams during Secondary Schooling in Year 12.
  • Most universities also offer entry pathways for Mature Age Students (over 21 years of age), some regardless of ever having achieved a Year 12 Certificate. You should contact individual universities for more information.
  • Open Universities Australia (OUA) also offers flexible online higher education to students.
  • University fees can be quite substantial, with one full time year of study usually costing more than $10,000.

VET programs

  • Vocational Education and Training programs can be delivered by Technical and Further Education (TAFE) Institutions and private Registered Training Organisations (RTOs).
  • The various state-administered institutes of TAFE across the country are the major providers of VET in Australia.
  • TAFE institutions generally offer short courses, Certificates I, II, III and IV, Diplomas and Advanced Diplomas in a wide range of vocational topics.
  • RTOs are privately operated. They offer short courses similar to TAFEs and also specialised courses such as specific training for employees in a particular industry.
  1. Halo4 7 years ago

    I was after information in regards to my son he’s just completed year 12 and has being offered a place at university, we are all NZ citizens and of course fees are very very costly is there any sort of financial help we can apply for?
    Thanks Awhina

    • Steve 7 years ago

      Hi Halo – Great news to hear or your sons acceptance into uni that in itself is a great result.

      A: Limited situations allow Kiwis to be eligable for HEC,s/Vet Student Loans and usually if they are the Uni would inform you. I am happy for you to contact me to discuss as every situation can differ and little things can be overy looked when read.. txt me on 0407505997 and we can set up a time to chat if you would like. Happy to always be helping if theres a way to help with fees I will find it.

  2. Author
    Mark B 7 years ago

    Hi Halo ?

    Thanks for the message and comment here @swaterson can you assist in any way please ?

    Halo NZRelo very shortly is launch an entire education area in partnership with KiwiOz Approved @swaterson is the owner k he should get back to you

    Thanks again great to see people chatting

  3. Jojo28 2 years ago

    Hi there, any help please if anyone can asist my son has just finished year 12 and has got accepted into university here in Sydney. We have applied for Hecs/youth allowance and he is not entitled to that because we arrived in oz 2014 so just missed the timeline criteria. Can NZ assist him with some sort of allowance to cover him till he finds a job?

Leave a reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.


We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Copyright © NZRelo™ 2023. All Rights Reserved.


We help Kiwis living in Australia buy their own piece of New
Zealand,be it for investment or to live one day.


Forgot your details?