A quick overview of KiwiSaver
If you lived in New Zealand and moved to Australia, it’s likely you’ve left a KiwiSaver account behind. But what’s the point in moving those retirement savings to an Australian super account?
The Australian and New Zealand governments have an agreement that allows New Zealand residents who resettle permanently in Australia to transfer KiwiSaver savings to an authorised super fund.
Save on taxes
Moving your KiwiSaver balances to your Australian super funds can be a savvy option. The New Zealand Inland Revenue’s tax on KiwiSaver investment earnings is 28% after residents leave the country, compared with a maximum 15% plus Capital Gains Tax for Australian super accounts.
Save on account fees
By transferring KiwiSaver funds to a First Super account, more of your combined savings are kept invested for your retirement1, and you will avoid wasteful fees and taxes that your KiwiSaver would have accrued if you leave it in New Zealand.
Use your KiwiSaver to purchase your first home in Australia
You can use your KiwiSaver to buy your first home with the First Home Super Saver scheme in Australia, as long as you meet the criteria set out by the ATO.
Be aware - there are only a handful of Australian funds that accept KiwiSaver transfers
By law, there are only a handful of super funds you can transfer your KiwiSaver to – and First Super is one of them.
Transfer your KiwiSaver to a top performing super fund – First Super
- First Super is one of Australia’s top performing super funds for 2023. Their Balanced option is in the top 10 Balanced Accumulation products by 3-year return, according to rankings from SuperRatings to 30 June 2023. They have a track record of strong, long-term returns.2 For the 10 years to 30 June 2023, the average return was 7.83%.
- They’re award winning – Money magazine has chosen First Super’s Growth investment option as the Best Balanced Super Product for 2024, due to the consistency of it’s performance over 1, 3, 5 and 10 years.
- They’re an Industry SuperFund. This means profits go straight back to members, not shareholders.
- They pride themselves on their member service, with dedicated local coordinators and Financial Planners3providing in-person service at your workplace or home, over the phone or online.
- Their Financial Planners4 offer a range of financial advice to all their members, from Retirement Health Checks at no extra cost to comprehensive personal advice for an additional fee.
- They offer competitive fees to cover costs and services, so members’ retirement savings don’t get eaten away.
For more details about joining First Super or help on KiwiSaver transfers, speak to our Member Services Team today on live chat or call us 1300 360 988.
How long will a KiwiSaver transfer take?
It can take approximately 4-6 weeks to transfer your KiwiSaver account into your First Super account. Our Member Services Team help you through the process.
This article was produced by First Super Pty Ltd (ABN 42 053 498 472, AFSL 223988), as Trustee of First Super (ABN 56 286 625 181). It may contain general advice which has been prepared without taking into account your objectives, financial situation or needs. You should read and consider the PDS and TMD before making a decision to invest in First Super. To obtain a copy of the PDS or Target Market Determination, please contact First Super on 1300 360 988 or visit firstsuper.com.au/pds.
- Before making a decision to combine your superannuation, you should consider any costs, change to insurance cover or loss of benefits that may apply and, if necessary, consult a qualified financial adviser.
- Past returns are not an indicator of future returns.
- First Super Member and Employer Services Coordinators can provide factual information and general advice only.
- First Super Financial Planners are authorised representatives of Industry Fund Services Limited (ABN 54 007 016 195, AFSL 232514).