Working in Australia – Who Issues An RSA?

The RSA certificate is issued on a state by state basis, so if you (for example) complete a Western Australian RSA and moved to Queensland, you would either have to complete a Queensland RSA certificate that is specific to the Queensland state laws in relation to the service of alcohol. Alternatively, some online training providers offer a “bridging course”, which covers the difference between different state alcohol laws, which are cheaper than completing a whole new RSA.

Working in Australia – Cost of Obtaining Your RSA

While this might sound intimidating, the requirements for completing this certificate are usually quite flexible, and can be completed easily, either in person or online. These courses generally cost anywhere between $25 and $50 to complete online, but can vary between training providers. Be sure to choose a training provider that is a registered training organisation with the appropriate government approval to deliver training, otherwise the certificate will not be valid. To do this, make sure that the organisation offering the course has a registered training organisation number and is listed on

Working in Australia – What is Responsible Service of Alcohol?

To work a job that involves the handling or service of alcohol, or in a licensed venue in Australia, you will need to complete a Responsible Service of Alcohol (“RSA”) training course which will familiarise you with the laws in relation to alcohol. If you do not obtain an RSA, you will not be able to serve alcohol. If you are looking for employment in the hospitality industry this is a necessity.