Drivers Licenses in Queensland

Drivers Licenses in Queensland

Moving to Queensland? Confused about the driver license process? Click below and find out what you need to know, leave a comment or share your experience so others can learn from you and your journey.

Department of Transport and Motoring
13 74 68

If you are living in Queensland, you will need to switch over your New Zealand driver’s license to a Queensland driver’s license. You can drive using your overseas driver’s license for the first 3 months, after which, you can apply for a Queensland driver’s license. If you do not switch over to a Queensland driver’s license once you have been in Queensland for 3 months, you must stop driving until you have gotten a Queensland driver’s license.

If you are applying for a car or motorcycle license, you do not have to re-sit the written road rules test or practical driving test if you have a current New Zealand driver’s license or have held a New Zealand driver’s license within the last 5 years for a car, moped or motorcycle.

If you want to apply a Queensland heavy vehicle driver license and have previously held within the last 5 years or currently hold a New Zealand heavy vehicle license, you will need to pass the written road rules test for heavy vehicles.

If you have previously had a New Zealand learner license for a car, moped or motorcycle, you will not have to re-sit the written test but will have to pass the Queensland practical test.

Queensland driver’s licenses have four license “stages” – learner license, provisional license (stage one, also known as P1 or “red Ps”), provisional license (stage two, also known as P2 or “green Ps”), and open. Each of these stages have certain restrictions until you have reached your open license, and while you are not on your open license, you must take care to always display the correct “plates”. These requirements may be different if you are over the age of 25, as you may be exempt from some requirements.

P1 or “red Ps” have restrictions in relation to who and how many people you can have as passengers during certain times, restrictions on how you can use your phone while driving (holding a handset while driving in Australia carries harsh penalties for all drivers, but while on your P1 license, there are additional restrictions on hands-free, wireless and mobiles on speaker), restrictions on high-powered vehicles and potentially some restrictions on what times you can drive.

P2 or “green Ps” do not have the same restrictions in relation to passengers, when you can drive or what kind of hands-free or wireless mobile phone system you can use, but does still carry restrictions on high powered cars if you are under the age of 25.

Once you have completed your provisional license requirements, you will be able to apply for your open license.

To transfer your full driver’s license from New Zealand to a Queensland driver’s license, you will need to do the following:

  • Complete a driver’s license application form (Form F3000);
  • Bring your New Zealand license with you (the Department staff will need to see it);
  • Bring your identity documents with you (see our section on 100 point checks), including documents which prove you are living in Queensland (these can be a rental agreement, a utility bill, etc);
  • Declare that you do not have any medical conditions that would stop you being able to drive safely (for example, diabetes, epilepsy, sleep disorders); and
  • Pay the licensing fee (1 year of licensing is approximately $70).
  1. Sama Wynyard 7 years ago

    Hi.i have recently moved from nz to brisbane and will be living in brisbane trying to switch over my nz restricted license but somehow im finding it very so..i do.have photo ids for verifications..but it seems thats not enough.evidence..very apprrciated if you could help me.sort my.situations out please.thank you.

    • Author
      Mark B 7 years ago

      Hi Sama

      It’s quite a mission to get it all sorted, can i ask have you looked at our driver licensing area in the tips and tricks?

      It’s got everything you need

      Yell out if you need any future help o

  2. Mishjane 5 years ago

    I moved to Brisbane 9 months ago from Nz and got in touch with the Queensland Transport dept to ask about changing over my Nz Driver license to a Queensland one.
    According to them I don’t need to change mine over until I become a resident only then it must be changed after 3 months ?!

  3. Norm 3 years ago

    I am living in Bundaberg Qld on a 444 temporary visa. I am classed as a temporary resident so dont need to change if my NZ license is current (or so I am told by Main roads n transport) Do I need to change over to a Qld license asI cannot return to NZ because of the Covid19 situation.
    Any information would be helpful.
    Many thanks
    Norm Atkins

  4. simma toor 4 months ago

    if anyone can suggest something please, I have 9 yo old NZ license and i drive truck and trailer. I am looking to convert my NZ license into Australian MC license. Do I have to live in Australia for more than 3 months to do so?

Leave a reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.


We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Copyright © NZRelo™ 2023. All Rights Reserved.


We help Kiwis living in Australia buy their own piece of New
Zealand,be it for investment or to live one day.


Forgot your details?