Centrelink and Kiwis

Centrelink and Kiwis – What Is It and How Does It Work?

Let’s start with the basics – the Australian agency that is responsible for government benefits and payments is called Centrelink. Centrelink is a typical government department – there are some long waiting times and trying to speak to someone on the phone is an exercise in patience. So don’t expect anything to happen quickly – it’s best to start the Centrelink process before its “needed”, as it can take quite some time for anything to come through or be sorted. Try to be as organised as possible with Centrelink – these waiting times means that forgetting a document or missing an appointment can mean that you’ll be rescheduled – sometimes weeks later.

To apply for a Centrelink payment, you will most probably need to attend on a Centrelink office – again, for any visit to Centrelink, plan to spend a while there. They will give you a Centrelink number, which will mean that most of the time, you will be able to use the online portal. They will ask for all kinds of information, which can include (but isn’t limited to) 100 points of ID, bank statements, information about property you own, information about any children you’re applying for benefits for (including birth certificates), information about where you’re living, who you live with, and your income.

This information is necessary because many Australian government benefits are income and assets tested – which means that should you have too many assets (e.g. property in Australia or New Zealand) or earn too much, your payments may be reduced or you may not be classified as eligible to receive any payments.

  1. Stu Paterson 1 week ago

    Hi I’ve never had to deal with centre link in my 7 years living here, I’m married to an Australian citizen but have lived and worked here just on my nz passport whatever that visa is. Last week I suffered a heart attack and it hasn’t been resolved yet but will be later in march. My labour hire company won’t let me resume work till I’ve been cleared bu my cardiologist. Can I receive any GOV assistance or am I even entitled to? Any advice much appreciated

Leave a reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.


We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Copyright © NZRelo™ 2024. All Rights Reserved.


We have made financing and buying your first
car in Australia simple, easy and hassle free.


Forgot your details?