Age Pension for Kiwis in Australia

The age pension in Australia is roughly equivalent to NZ Superannuation. The age pension has the following requirements:

  • Must be 65 years old or older; and
  • Have been residing in Australia AND/OR New Zealand for at least 10 years.

As Australia and New Zealand have a reciprocal agreement, periods of time spent in both Australia and New Zealand between 20 and 64 years of age (for example, 2 years in New Zealand and 8 years in Australia will mean that you can qualify). However, you need to have entered Australia on a New Zealand passport.

Asset/Income Testing

This is a payment that is asset and income tested, unlike NZ Superannuation. If you exceed the asset/income “limit” (for example, own too many properties or make too much per year if you are still working), you may not be able to receive the Australian age pension or may have your payments reduced.   This also extends to receiving NZ Superannuation while in Australia – according to Australian regulations, the amount you receive from both NZ Superannuation and the Australian age pension cannot exceed what you would receive from just the Australian age pension without being adjusted accordingly.

1 Comment
  1. Doralee Harimate 3 years ago

    Hi i have my inlaws who are about to move in with us as they both have no income and have been told by their doctor that they cannot work due to health reasons. They moved to Sydney in 2008 my mother inlaw is 63years and my father inlaw is 60 is there anything we can do to get some help?

Leave a reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.


We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Copyright © NZRelo™ 2021. All Rights Reserved.


Did you know, you may be eligible for the Kiwi Home Builders Incentive?
Contact our Kiwi Home Specialist today!


Forgot your details?