Skilled Independent Visa (subclass 189) New Zealand Stream
Permanent Visa for New Zealand Citizens only
The Australian Government announced a new permanent visa pathway dedicated to certain New Zealand citizens who meet strict criteria. This pathway became available on 1st July 2017 and is still currently open.
This visa is a Skilled Independent Visa for Kiwis.
- Must earn a taxable income $53,900 for four years immediately before lodging an application.
- Usually resident in Australia on or before the 19th February for a continuous period of years prior to application.
- Exemptions exist for certain applicants whose income have fallen below the $53,900 threshold due to prescribed circumstances such as approved parental or carers leave, parenting orders, receiving compensation for a work related injury.
- Meet health and character checks.
- Partners and dependant children may me able to be included as additional applicants in this type of application.
- The main applicant must be the holder of a Special Category Visa, subclass TY444.
- Hold a valid passport.
- There are no age restrictions for the applicant to make this type of visa application.
- There are no capped limits to how many of the permanent visas can be granted.
- There are no points requirements as compared to the general Subclass 189 Skilled Independent visa criteria.
- Once the visa has been granted, then the earliest you may be able to apply for citizenship is 12 months. This is subject to meeting residency requirements.
*This visa can not be applied for by any kiwi how arrived to live in Australia from the 20th February 2016 onwards.