Getting a Permanent Visa in Australia as a Kiwi

Getting a Permanent Visa in Australia as a Kiwi

Types of Visas

The type of permanent visa you get in Australia will depend on your circumstances once you have moved to Australia.  There are many types of permanent visas – too many to list.  Some types of permanent visas require sponsorship – that is, someone who is an Australian resident or citizen over 18 years of age that is willing to financially support your application for a set period of time.  Some types of permanent visas require certain skills or for you to be able to do certain kinds of jobs which the Australian government considers desirable.  Some types of permanent visas are “points tested”, which gives factors such as your age, language skills, qualifications and work experience points according to how desirable the Australian government thinks they are (for example, good English skills give more points than poor English skills).

Confusingly enough, being a permanent resident and being a “resident for tax purposes” are completely different things! Please see our section on Tax in Aus to learn about being a “resident for tax purposes”.

If you are looking at trying to obtain a permanent residence visa for Australia, we recommend you go to a registered migration agent, who will be able to assess your individual situation and which visa would best suit your needs.

There are many types of visas available in Australia and their requirements change quite frequently, a professional opinion will be able to assist you in finding the quickest path to permanent residency for you.  And, since permanent visa applications can be costly and take ages, a Registered Migration Agent can help you avoid having your application rejected.  Remember you do not get a refund if you complete the wrong visa application.



You will notice that your “permanent” residency visa has an expiry date. Surely you haven’t slogged through all those mountains of paperwork and visa fees for five years or less? No, you haven’t! After you have had a permanent residence visa and have been living happily in Australia for at least 2 out of the last 5 years, you will be eligible to apply for a Resident Return Visa.  This will allow you to travel in and out of Australia freely without having to re-apply for the visa that gave you your permanent residency in Australia. Once the RRV has been granted you can then sponsor your children.


This includes New Zealand Citizens who travelled to Australia for a holiday even as a child before 1 September 1994, then if you arrived back into Australia after 26 February 2001, then you can apply for a Resident Return Visa which expires after 5 Years and you can travel overseas….BIG BONUS….. after one year then you can apply for Australian Citizenship.

  1. Sally Gordon 6 years ago

    I want to apply for Australian residency / citizenship. I meet the 5 years earning over $57000. Are there any recommended ‘registered migration agents’ in Brisbane?

  2. Tracey Borell 5 years ago

    I would like to apply for permanent residency and citizenship for myself and son.
    I have worked with my company coming up to 8 years next Valentine’s.
    Who do you recommend for me to speak too on the Gold Coast?
    I earn over the threshold, my concern, i have just turned 50 back in Febuary, is there a age cut off.

    • Author
      Mark B 5 years ago

      Hi Tracey,

      Great work and great idea. Just above is the contact details for Erina… she’s theeeee best!

      Good luck

  3. Karen Mac 5 years ago

    HI I would like to apply for residency and eventually citizenship I first came to aussie in yr 2000 for 10 days then returned bck to aussie in 2015 to live in have a aussie partner whom I have lived with on the road interstate he supports me how do I apply for everything

  4. Marama Morris 5 years ago

    HI I would like to apply for a permanent resident visa who do you recommend in melborne (western suburbs.

  5. Ronald 4 years ago

    I would like to apply for Australian citizenship have been living and working in Melbourne for 15years . I’m over 60years and would also like to include citizenship for my 15 year old son. Would love some assistance and information

  6. Trace Lydon 4 years ago

    Hi my husband and i would like to apply for pr then citizans later can you point me in the right directon please, we have been here since dec 2008

  7. Renee Smart 3 years ago

    Hi, I’ve been here since 1981, my father was an Aussie. How do I find my permanent residency number to apply for citizenship. Thanks.

Leave a reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.


We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Copyright © NZRelo™ 2023. All Rights Reserved.


We help Kiwis living in Australia buy their own piece of New
Zealand,be it for investment or to live one day.


Forgot your details?