• An approved person who is registered by the Office of the Migration Agents Registration Authority (MARA) to give visa assistance and advice
  • Is qualified in the migration profession and has a sound knowledge of migration law and practice
  • Advocates and assists people in complex migration and citizenship matters
  • Prepares and lodges high grade visa and citizenship applications and all associated material
  • Researches and advises best suitable options and pathways for visas and citizenship
  • Must hold certain subscriptions and undergo professional training on a regular basis
  • Must be of good character and is accountable to both their clients and the MARA

Must abide by the Code of Conduct and have appropriate insurance

The easiest way to explain this is that, just as your fingerprints are unique to you, so is the professional fee. There are many types of visas and every person’s situation is different, so therefore the professional fee that is charged relates to the complexity of visa and your particular situation.

As a guide we have included a Schedule of Fees taken from the Migration Agents Registration Authority, this is a guide only.


Agent fee data – 1 July 2016 to 30 June 2017 

 Temporary visa services Bridging visa
Business (visitor)
Graduate – Skilled
Other temporary resident
Other visitor
Student Guardian
Temporary Graduate
Temporary Non-business
Temporary Work Skilled (457)
Working Holiday

$150 – $550
$500 – $1,500
$990 – $2,500
$1000 – $2,500
$500 – $1,500
$500 – $2,420
$550 – $2,000
$750 – $2,500
$1000 – $3,000
$2,000 – $5,000
$330 – $1,500
$500 – $1,250

 Permanent visa services Australian Declaratory visa
Business Skills
Child Migration
Employer Nomination Scheme
General Skilled Migration
Humanitarian Offshore
Onshore Protection
Other Skilled
Parent Migration
Partner Migration
Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme
Returning Resident
Skilled Independent
Special Migration

$550 – $5,500
$3,700 – $18,000
$1,500 – $3,800
$2,500 – $5,500
$2,000 – $4,800
$1,500 – $4,950
$1,100 – $5,500
$2,200 –  $5,000
$2,000 – $4,200
$500 – $4,400
$3,300 – $6,000
$500 – $2,000
$2,200 – $4,750
$1,300 – $5,500

 Other New Zealand Special Category visa
Review Application

$500 – $2,200
$1,500 – $5,000

Note: These fees are in Australian dollars and include Goods and Services Tax (GST). These fees do not include visa application charges payable to the Department of Home Affairs.


The standard fees associated with applications include:-

  • The Department of Home Affairs Government Applications Charges
  • Visa Application Charge (VAC);
  • Sponsorship and nomination application charges
  • Skills Assessment fees if required;
  • Medicals required for all applicants including non-migrating dependent children;
  • English Language test if required;
  • Official translations of any documents that may not be in English;
  • Police Clearances from Australia and any other country of previous residence.

Morunga Migration offers a Fee Estimate which outlines the professional fee for service for all applicants and Visa Application Charges including Citizenship applications.

So if you remember back to the good old days where Kiwis arrived on the shores of Australia and waited a period of time and then were able to apply for Australian Citizenship.  This is not the case anymore.

Read on…..very important information is following:

New Zealand Citizens (not New Zealand Permanent Residents) arrive in Australia on a Special Category Visa 444.  Issued automatically at no charge.

BUT this Special Category Visa 444 is only TEMPORARY. Which allows you to work and live in Australia indefinitely providing you live within the law.

IF YOU WANT CITIZENSHIP, then you need to have a Permanent Resident Visa and depending on your date of arrival in Australia determines what you need to do to gain Permanent Residence.

REGARDLESS of what year you arrived before or after the law change  you have to apply for citizenship it is not automatic.

No, you have to be either the holder of a permanent visa or an Eligible New Zealand Citizen before you can consider applying for citizenship. Please note: These are the prerequisites for applying. There are other criteria such as residency and character requirements that must be met also.

  • Security & Stability
  • Protection from law changes to visa holders
  • Overseas Embassy Assistance
  • The right to vote
  • Register children born overseas as Australian Citizens by descent
  • Employment opportunities in Federal Public service and Australian Defence Force
  • Access to Students Loans (HECS, HELP etc)

Citizenship for children born in Australia to Kiwis can be a little confusing to understand, as it depends on what kind of visa the parent holds at the time of the child’s birth.


  • born in Australia on or after 27 February 2001 and you held an Australian permanent resident visa or were present in Australia on 26 February 2001 as the holder of a Special Category visa, or
  • born in Australia between 1 September 1994 and 26 February 2001 and you held a permanent visa or a Special Category visa, or
  • born in Australia between 26 January 1949 and 19 August 1986 unless you or your spouse were entitled to diplomatic privileges, or
  • born in Australia and reached 10 years of age having lived in Australia most of their life.

As it is possible to hold dual citizenship, we recommend that you apply for New Zealand citizenship by descent for your child born in Australia, and should you continue to reside in Australia permanently for the first ten years, then your child will automatically receive Australian citizenship.  The next step would be to apply for evidence of citizenship in order to get an Australian passport.

If one parent is an Australian permanent resident or citizen, your child will automatically be considered an Australian citizen.

If both parents hold Australian permanent residency or citizenship, your child will automatically be considered an Australian citizen.

So if your child born in Australia to New Zealand Citizen wants to travel overseas before the magic age of 10.  THEN apply for New Zealand citizen by descent and New Zealand Passport to travel until the magic age of 10 then apply for an Australian passport.

All children born in Australia to an Eligible New Zealand Citizen or Protected SCV holder is a citizen at birth.

VEVO is the Visa Entitlement Verification Online…in short you can check to see what your current visa status is.   It is free and you will need the following:

  • Transaction Reference Number (TRN)
  • Visa Grant Notice
  • Visa Evidence Number (not available in the myVEVO app).

Don’t worry if you do not have any of the above.  You can request a reference number through the VEVO Request for a Reference Number Form.

When you utilise VEVO you will receive all the information relating to all your visa details.

So for all the Kiwis out there, who think they don’t have a visa,,,,,,check out VEVO for your current visa status.

  • For records less than 30 years old you may complete the International Movement Record Form 1359
  • For records older than 30 years old you will need to contact the National Archives of Australia
  • Both are free to apply for
  • Was introduced on the 1st September 1994
  • Temporary visa issued to New Zealand citizens only
  • Automatically grants New Zealand citizens entry into Australia
  • Ceases each time a New Zealand citizen leaves Australia
  • Allows New Zealand citizens to live, work and study in Australia
  • All New Zealand citizens are granted an SCV regardless of whether they were living in Australia before the 1st of September 1994 or not
  • Some New Zealand citizens are Protected SCV holders whilst others are NON-Protected SCV holders
  • Protected SCV holders/Eligible New Zealand citizens are able to apply directly for citizenship and are entitled to Centrelink benefits
  • New Zealand citizens with criminal convictions can be refused entry into Australia or could have their visa cancelled
  • Allows access to certain Centrelink government benefits eg Family Assistance, Rental Assistance, Medicare, Healthcare Card, Childcare Rebates


An Australian permanent resident is a person who is not an Australian citizen but has a permanent visa or is recognised as an Eligible New Zealand Citizen.

  • A New Zealand citizen who was physically present in Australia on the 26th February 2001 OR
  • Present in Australia for 365 days between 26th February 1999 to 26th February 2001 OR
  • Was assessed as a Protected Special Category Visa Holder (subclass TY444) by the 26th February 2004

An Eligible New Zealand Citizen (ENZC) is also known as a Protected Special Category Visa (SCV) Holder.


Be aware, Eligible New Zealand Citizens are NOT permanent residents or permanent visa holders.


ENZCs are able to:

  • Sponsor certain family members for permanent visas
  • Apply for Centrelink payments
  • Apply directly for citizenship by conferral

If you think you are an ENZC please contact Morunga Migration for further clarification.

This visa is for a non-New Zealand family member of a New Zealand Citizen to live and work in Australia.

However this non-New Zealand family member can only be the following:

  • Their partner
  • Their child/step-child or their partners child/step-child
  • The Dependant child of you or your partner’s child/step child.

The New Zealand Citizen that you are related to must be the holder of a Special Category Visa 444 not an Eligible New Zealand Citizen…..If you are unsure of your visa status then check VEVO (which is explained in the FAQ).

Important to note that this visa is NOT a permanent visa, it is a TEMPORARY visa and lasts for five years.

If you wanted to apply for Australian Citizenship, then you must first as the holder of this temporary visa be eligible to apply for a Permanent Residency Visa.

This TEMPORARY visa allows you to work and live in Australia however you are not eligible for Medicare so are responsible for your own health costs unless the country of your passport has a reciprocal health agreement with Australia.

For example the following countries have reciprocal health care agreements with Australia:






New Zealand





United Kingdom

Generally cover the expenses that Medicare would cover.

This is a visa that allows you to stay in Australia after your existing visa has expired and before your new visa is decided.  There are many types of Bridging Visas.  For example if you are the holder of the 461  family visa and apply for a permanent visa then the Department will issue you with a Bridging Visa until your Permanent Resident Visa is decided..

It allows you to stay lawfully in the country until the decision of your Permanent Resident Visa is approved and granted.  The common bridging visa is a Bridging Visa A, but if you are granted a BVA and then need to travel overseas you have to apply for a Bridging Visa B and return before the date stated on the BVB.

The OMARA is the professional association of migration agents in Australia. The help consumers and maintain high standards of knowledge, ethics and professionalism in the migration advice profession. Agents should provide you with a copy of the ‘Migration Agents Consumer Guide’. Agents also have to abide the ‘Code of Conduct’ and should be made available upon request.

  • Skilled Independent visa (subclass 189) New Zealand Stream
  • Resident Return Visa
  • Family visas eg Partner visa, child visa

Please note criteria for any permanent visa must be met before making a successful application.

Morunga Migration | MARN: 1797713 | MIA: 17820


We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Copyright © NZRelo™ 2020. All Rights Reserved.

To save this website, tap the button and select Add To Home Screen.

× Tap this message to dismiss.

Forgot your details?