Right! However, the word “superannuation” is used differently in Australia. Australian superannuation funds are more like a KiwiSaver account, and money received from the government is called a “pension” or government benefit.

It’s complicated, and depends on how long you’ve been in Australia, what visa you’re on and a few other things. You may not be eligible for a pension in Australia, depending on your visa/residency status – however, it is highly likely that you would be able to receive something from either the New Zealand or Australian government. Often, it’s the case that, based on how long you were in each country, your pension will be “topped up” by either Australia or New Zealand.

Theoretically, yes. It may not be the “full amount” though, especially if you’re receiving a payment from the Australian government. It also depends on how long you’ve been in/out of New Zealand. Keep in mind, income received from NZ Superannuation is taxed by the Australian government in the same way that income from work is while you’re in Australia.

You can transfer it over with you in some cases, and put it in an Australian superannuation account – however, there are tax implications and you should probably talk to a tax advisor before you do it. You can have a read of our SUPERANNUATION & TAXATION IN AUSTRALIA section to find out more.

Unfortunately, we can’t give you specific advice! That’s best left to a financial advisor or other professional, who can take into consideration your particular circumstances, which include your assets (e.g. property) and income. All we can do is give a short outline of a few things you might not know that might come in handy – think of us as food for thought rather than strict guidelines.

  1. Author
    Mark B 4 years ago


  2. Nomz Falconer (Naomi) 3 years ago

    Been wanting to know this for ag ages its all so confusing and when you get a job they just expect you to know what it is finally its been explained

  3. Gregory Keane 1 week ago

    I am a 66 year old Kiwi male earning $80,000 pa in Sydney.(turn 67 in June) and I still collect my NZ Super.I have been here 3 months.

    1. Do declare my Australian income on my NZ Tax return?
    2. Visa versa my NZ income on my Australian Tax return?
    3.Will I forfeit my NZ Super payments at any stage?
    I intend to reside permanently and am supporting my son ( NZ citizen) and Grand son ( NZ and Australian Citizen). Thanks for any feedback.I feel I might need to talk to an Accountant and Immigration Consultant.

Leave a reply


We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Copyright © NZRelo™ 2020. All Rights Reserved.

To save this website, tap the button and select Add To Home Screen.

× Tap this message to dismiss.

Forgot your details?