Marriage in Australia – Registering Your Relationship

It is possible to register a relationship (opposite or same sex) if you are living in New South Wales, Australian Capital Territory, Queensland, Tasmania or Victoria.

Registered relationships are entitled to most of the same entitlements as de facto relationships, however, you will need to file paperwork with the Registry of Births Deaths and Marriages in your state and pay a fee if you wish to register your relationship. If you should wish to dissolve a registered relationship, there is a mandatory “cooling off” period, and further paperwork that needs to be filed.

  1. Kiani 5 years ago

    Super useful information!

  2. Noeline S 4 years ago

    I have registered my relationship with my partner and he is from Colombia and lived in Australia for 12 years and we are still in the process for my partner to get a temporary visa

  3. Author
    Mark B 4 years ago

    Fantastic news, did it go all smoothly was there many problems with the process

Leave a reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.


We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Copyright © NZRelo™ 2021. All Rights Reserved.

To save this website, tap the button and select Add To Home Screen.

× Tap this message to dismiss.

Forgot your details?