PET TRANSPORT & RELOCATION
Pet transportation can be a stressful experience for both you and your pets. We have the experience and knowledge to arrange trauma-free pet transportation to your new home. Importantly, we understand local quarantine requirements and government regulations associated with pet transportation.
TIPS FOR TRANSPORTING PETS
Some things you can do to ease the stress of moving your pets to your new home:
- Before leaving, schedule a veterinary examination to check your pet’s health, obtain copies of vaccination records and a health certificate (if required), update identification tags, and discuss a tranquilliser or precautionary measures for the trip.
- If travelling to your new home by car, make sure to get your pet comfortable with auto travel by taking it on short trips around the neighbourhood before the day of the move.
- Don’t feed your pet for seven hours prior to your trip, pack a container of fresh, cool water, and stop frequently for walks.
- If stopping at a hotel overnight, make sure the hotel allows pets.
- Never leave your pet in the car alone.
Birds and small pets such as hamsters can travel in their carriers if the carrier can be placed in a stable, well-ventilated area free of drafts (covering the carrier while the car is moving often calms an animal). If transporting your pet by air, contact the airline well in advance to check regulations and services. Some other considerations are:
- Consider direct flights to minimise the amount of time your pet will be confined.
- Select a portable air-transport carrier that is large enough for your pet to stand and move around.
- Let your pet become accustomed to the carrier well in advance of the trip.
- Don’t forget to mark the carrier with “Live Animal”, your pet’s name, your new address and phone number, and any special handling instructions.
Disclaimer: NZRelo outsources shipping services to its partners to complete and obtain quotes. All shipping is provided by the company in which quote you accept. NZRelo is not held liable for any damage/s to your goods being shipped, delays in shipping or any loss you may suffer from shipping your goods.