Drivers Licenses in Western Australia

Drivers Licenses in Western Australia

Moving to Western Australia ? Confused about the driver license process? Click below and find out what you need to know, leave a comment or share your experience so others can learn from you and your journey.

Department of Transport
Driver and Vehicle Services
GPO Box R1290
Perth WA 6844

If you are living in Western Australia, you will need to switch over your New Zealand driver’s license to a Western Australia driver’s license. You can drive using your overseas driver’s license for the first 3 months, after which, you must apply for a Western Australian driver’s license. If you do not switch over to a Western Australian driver’s license once you have been in Western Australia for 3 months, you must stop driving until you have gotten a Western Australian driver’s license.

If you are applying for a car or motorcycle license, you do not have to re-sit the written road rules test or practical driving test if you are over 25 years old and your New Zealand driver’s license has not expired by more than 12 months or you have a current New Zealand driver’s license. If you are under the age of 25, you may have to re-sit your theory or practical tests.

You will be required to take an eyesight test at the Driver and Vehicle Services Centre or regional agent when you apply for your license. If you need to wear glasses or contacts to pass the eyesight test, your license will say that you need to be wearing your glasses or contacts while you are driving.

Western Australian driver’s licenses have four license “stages” – learner license, provisional license (stage one, also known as P1 or “red Ps”), provisional license (stage two, also known as P2 or “green Ps”), and open. Each of these stages have certain restrictions until you have reached your open license, and while you are not on your open license, you must take care to always display the correct “plates”.

P1 or “red Ps” have restrictions in relation to when you can drive, with a curfew between midnight and 5am (unless it is for study or work and you have an exemption).

P2 or “green Ps” do not have the same curfew, but still must display their green “P” plates.

Once you have completed your provisional license requirements, you will receive your open license and no longer have to display “P” plates.

To transfer your full driver’s license from New Zealand to a West Australian driver’s license, you will need to do the following:

  • Complete a transfer of overseas driver’s license application form;
  • Bring your New Zealand license with you (the Department staff will need to see it);
  • Bring your identity documents with you, including documents which prove you are living in Western Australia (these can be a rental agreement, a utility bill, etc); and
  • Pay the transfer application fee ($40.70) and the licensing fee (1 year of licensing is approximately $41.80).

Click here to find your nearest Department of Transport.

  1. Antony Frew 5 years ago

    All Roads Truck Driver training is Kiwi owned and operated offering HR ( Heavy Rigid ), HC ( Heavy Combination ) and MC ( Multiple Combination ) truck driver training and assessments ( PDA ) for West Australian truck licences.
    All trainers and assessors are Department of Transport approved , experienced , and get results.
    Training and assessing 7 days a week , helping Kiwis get their truck licences …. ph 92497399 , , , 5 Agett road Malaga 6090…….HIGH PASS RATE

  2. Hi there I’ve been told different stories. I’m over 25 years years old and I’ve had my NZ learner license for 9 years. On this site it has told me you don’t have to sit your tests and you go straight to your P plates. Does anyone know if that’s correct?

    • Kiwa Shelford-Salt 3 years ago

      Hi James,

      Hopefully you are all sorted now but if not I have some knowledge.

      I was told multiple stories as well from a lot of different states. From my experience the people on the phone and at the office had no idea and always give conflicting information. If you are under 25 coming over with a NZ learners no matter how long you have had it, you will have to resit everything to get a AUS learners. However, if you are over 25 I do believe they give you a chance to pass the practical test to go straight to your Ps.

      My advice to people coming over from NZ under 25 or not is to have your restricted first they’ll switch you straight to Ps as long as you’ve held it for 6+ months. If you have held that for over two years you’ll be given your Opens. I had my learners when I came over and then went back to NZ to get my restricted due to not wanting to resit everything again.

      Hope this helps!

  3. Sharon Wairepo 3 years ago

    Can we transfer nz HT lisence for aust HR

  4. Tania Thorne 6 months ago

    This applies WA License: Proof of ID Documentation for License (Category A + Category B + Category C + Catergory C) – was updated 5/4/23.

    I was informed in making contact with DoT – WA customer services (a lengthy wait on the phone) that “Category A” I believed an ImmiCard (which is the only option listed for a NZ citizen to present) did not apply to me and so could they point me in the direction in what documentation I was expected to provide for Category A – Proof of Identity.

    Department of Transport Customer services informed that NZ Citizens do not have to provide a document from Category A as NZ Passport is linked to a visa, which will cover both Category A & Category B. YOU STILL need to provide 1 or 2 of the documents listed under Category B through to Category D

    Hopefully link will appear so you have an understanding on what I am referring too when applying for an WA license and what I am meaning:

    DoT Link:

Leave a reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.


We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Copyright © NZRelo™ 2023. All Rights Reserved.


We help Kiwis living in Australia buy their own piece of New
Zealand,be it for investment or to live one day.


Forgot your details?