Planning is the Key to a Successful Move
Whether you’re moving locally or going overseas, there’s so much to remember to do. This moving planner aims to give you some good reminders of important things to organise before your move to help it go smoothly. The time frames given are purely guides and may alter depending on your specific circumstances.
4 Weeks to Moving Day
Have you booked your move with us? Make sure you tell us of everything you want moved when you make your booking and if there are any changes, please let us know right up until the day of your move.
It is essential to research and organise transit insurance for your move. We have a range of options available to protect against the possibility of loss or damage during your move.
- Notify your childrens’ daycare and school of your move, if you’re moving out of the area arrange for records to be transferred.
- When you are moving out of the area, get a copy of your medical notes from your doctor or dentist to provide to your new health professionals.
- If you’re moving overseas, obtain visas, residency and work permits. Check also, that your passports are up to date and any necessary vaccinations are arranged.
- If you’re packing your household up yourself, it’s a good idea to begin the packing process early to make sure you don’t run out of time. Our packing guideline has some useful information to make the process easier.
- Have a spring clean – sell your unwanted furniture online and arrange donations to local community organisations such as Salvation Army.
- Begin reducing the amount of food you have stored in your freezer and pantry.
- Organise a farewell party.
GET A QUOTE
2 Weeks to Moving Day
Arrange to have your mail redirected. If you have any regular subscriptions make sure you advise your change in details.
There are some important people that need to know you are moving, make sure you let them know:
- Phone and internet provider
- Electricity and gas company
- Subscription TV
- Insurance company
- Tax department
- Electoral Registrar
- Other medical specialists
- Return items you have on loan from friends, neighbours, library
- If you have a pet this is the best time arrange relocation and boarding
- If you have children arrange for someone to look after them for you on moving day
1 Week to Moving Day
- Make sure you have completed and returned all documentation relating to your move to Conroy Removals.
- Ensure any last minute maintenance that you need to do at your property is complete before moving day.
- Mow the lawns and take any garden waste, rubbish from the property to the tip.
- Purge all gas cylinders.
- Prepare a package for your children during the move with a change of clothes, something to eat and an activity they will enjoy.
The Day Before Moving Day
- Defrost your fridge and freezer and clean it out.
- Disconnect stereos, computers, televisions, appliances (where possible) and other electronic devices. Tie up cords and place in original boxes if you still have these.
- Secure your important documents.
- Empty fuel from mowers, weed eaters, chainsaws, heaters, lamps and stoves etc before removal.
- Call your power company with your final reading.
- Do any final cleaning that is required and check around your home thoroughly to make sure nothing gets left behind.
- Check water, gas and electricity are turned off and water cylinder is switched off.
- Make sure all doors and windows are locked.
- All house keys are given to the new owners or rental company.
Enjoy your move.
Import Documents You Should Keep With You
- Drivers licence
- Marriage certificate
- Birth certificates
- Visa documentation
- Airline tickets
- Bank and real estate information
Dangerous Goods That Can’t Be Moved
- Cleaning fluids
A Few Tips for Your Move
- Do not move or store important documents, jewellery or money
- Do not move or store perishable foods
- Don’t overload drawers
- Don’t put breakables in drawers
- Don’t put liquids in drawers